The London School of Dance is a training ground for students of all ages. Established in 1958, the London School of Dance is known throughout Toronto as a leader in dance education. The school is recognized for its high standard of training, dedicated and qualified staff and it’s modern, convenient dance facilities.
In 1958, Miss Kathleen Binns, a professional dancer, felt a need to establish a facility to educate children in dance and the Arts. She founded the London School of Ballet in what was then a very rural Scarborough. In the early 70’s, the school changed its name to the London School of Dance as a reflection of the diversification of the disciplines offered.
To provide our students with a comprehensive dance education. To be receptive to their needs and committed to their enjoyment and development.
“The children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way!”
Live, Love, Learn …Leave a Legacy
We are committed to building a long-term relationship with each student which is founded upon trust, respect, co-operation and friendship. A student’s success is our success.
- To provide, in a caring and equal opportunity environment, artistic and academic training of the highest possible caliber, offering all students of the School a positive learning experience that is constantly monitored for potential growth and improvement.
- To achieve recognized accreditation for the curriculum.
- To ensure that the students have close practical and artistic access to professionals in the Dance and Theatre Community including Dance and Theatre Companies, Television as well as Artists, Choreographer and Industry Professionals
- To offer students as many opportunities to perform as possible.
- To expand the international exposure of the students of the School, by participating in international competitions
- To maintain a high acceptance rate of graduating students into prominent dance companies or dance and dance related fields including Education and Life Sciences in leading Universities and Colleges in Canada and internationally.
- To develop and maintain a new, purpose built facility which will enhance the teaching and learning opportunities for the students and the staff.
- To continue to educate and inspire the community through our danceOUTreach programs including the support of community charity groups and our own “Ballet Ribbon” Campaign with the Canadian Cancer Society.
Our Structure and Approach
At the London School of Dance our focus is on each student. Our training promotes a healthy outlook on life’s challenges at all ages; from the 2.5 year old student who ventures into the studio – leaving mommy and daddy at the door to the ‘Vocational’ student, who through consistent effort and dedication, achieves success in his/her professional examinations and finally to the mature student who is looking to continue dance training for career development and health and wellness. All classes are structured and follow set ‘Syllabi’. Each Syllabus is progressive and reflects a level of training and achievement required to successfully complete each level. These standards of training are established by and are in compliance with our affiliated dance organizations:
Royal Academy of Dance (R.A.D.)
British Association of Teachers of Dancing (B.A.T.D.)
The School offers Technical Training Programs in Ballet, Jazz, Tap and Acrobatics. Classes are co-ed and follow a formal class plan based on the School’s traditional ‘classical’ roots. We encourage students to attain a strong background in Classical Ballet. We also encourage the interested student to be versatile in their disciplines, to gain a better appreciation of dance and movement. Competitive dance through our Competitive Edge program is an intensive program giving the serious young dancer the opportunity to compete in local dance competitions. Finally,Instructor Training intensives, qualification courses as well as Master Classes for the dancer or those returning to the studio as mature students.
Recreational programs are offered in Afro Caribbean, Ballroom and Latin, Belly Dance, Bollywood, Contemporary, Flamenco, Hip Hop, Modern and Theater Dance. Further dance enrichment programs include Pilates and Yoga. And finally dance for fun program including Bollywood Workout, Salsasize, Zumba and ‘Adult’s Only Fitness’.
Students at the School are also given performance opportunities through open house demonstrations, Etudes Presentations, Annual Student Showcase, Competitive Edge and community theatre as well as numerous workshops on dance and career-related topics.
At the London School of Dance, class enrolment is limited to provide a good student-teacher ratio, this allows our instructors to bond with each student. New class advisement is based on the age and experience of each student. We use innovative methods of teaching to make learning fun and desirable, incorporating dance and its attributes into all aspects of a student’s development. Our in class formalities include a class uniform and dance decoutement.
London provides students with an opportunity to explore the world of dance, to learn and experiment with technique, and to enrich their appreciation for the various forms of the performing arts.
We expect the School to be a place where:
- all children are created equal and we build upon each child’s efforts and accomplishments, in that order
- students’ trust and respect must be earned
- students are encouraged to achieve and develop personal goals through self-discipline
- rewards and criticisms are applied fairly, consistently and used as a means to encourage further development and education
- on-going communication between students and parents/guardians is fundamental
- good nutrition is encouraged as the key to a healthy body and mind